av

 

the Framingham Public Library





    follow me on Twitter

    fplteenlib
    fplteenlib@hotmail.com
    fplteenlib
    443550364

    facebook me





    magic mirrors

    bookends



    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?


     

    Tuesday, August 21, 2007

    SPACE OPERA
    If you read the bookends on this blog with any regularity, you may remember my posting a few items about Elizabeth Moon's Vatta's War series, which I read with some great delight, anticipating each new book of the series. Feeling the need recently to read some fantastic space fiction and having already read through all of the published Vatta's War books, I turned to NoveList for some suggestions -- and there discovered Once a Hero (also by Elizabeth Moon) (the Metrowest Daily News had a picture of me reading this book on the library steps last week).
    Read it, loved it, wanted more -- learned it was part of the Serrano Legacy series. I promptly requested the first three of that series in an omnibus edition (which arrived today -- woohoo) by which I learned the "real name" for this science fiction subgenre -- Space Opera! I didn't know it was space opera I like -- how good it is to have definition!
    Other examples? Try Star Wars, Hitchhiker's Guide (a parody), Ender's Game, Serenity (aka Firefly) for starters.

    Labels: , , , ,



    Comments: Post a Comment
    0 comments