av

 

the Framingham Public Library





    follow me on Twitter

    fplteenlib
    fplteenlib@hotmail.com
    fplteenlib
    443550364

    facebook me





    magic mirrors

    bookends



    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?


     

    Thursday, August 07, 2008

    READING NOTES
    Just a couple of notes on a few things I've read recently.

    I took a summer vacation last week, and what better to read than a mystery! I read Dead Days of Summer by Carolyn G Hart -- a Death on Demand mystery. I started reading Death on Demand mysteries way back when Hart started writing them, and I've been enjoying them ever since. I'm a little behind on the series, but that's OK. The series centers around a mystery bookstore on an island, and the owner-turned-sometime-sleuth, Annie Darling (though she doesn't start out as darling). There's mystery, death, books, and a bit of romance in these enjoyable mysteries; I definitely recommend them!

    Next on my vacation reading list was Moonheart by Charles de Lint -- a fine modern fantasy combining the world of Ottawa, Canada with the Otherworld and time travel, and including wonderful interpretations of myth and legend. The perfect reading-in-the-woods-while-camping book, this is truly a magical title superbly written. An excellent advanced fantasy.

    And last night I finished off by reading the newest Minx book, Water Baby. Up until now I have liked the Minx books for the most part, but this one didn't thrill me. It's a realistic fiction piece about a girl who gets her leg bitten off by a shark and is learning to cope with the adjustment. It's also about friendship and relationships. I was hoping to like it, but it left me feeling dull and empty.

    Labels: , , , , ,



    Comments: Post a Comment
    0 comments