av

 

the Framingham Public Library





    follow me on Twitter

    fplteenlib
    fplteenlib@hotmail.com
    fplteenlib
    443550364

    facebook me





    magic mirrors

    bookends



    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?


     

    Thursday, April 20, 2006

    BOOKENDS
    City of the Beasts by Isabel Allende
    In his first adventure, Alexander Cold goes with his grandmother into the wilds of the Amazon in search of a giant humanoid beast that has been attacking and killing. It's a dangerous trip, not only because of the anacondas and jaguars and natives, but also because someone on the expedition is threatening the lives of others. When Alex and his new friend Nadia are snatched away by the People of the Mist and then led to the city of El Dorado, they are given knowledge that no outsider has ever been privileged to receive. But this knowledge does not come for free. Threatened with the deaths of their parents, themselves, and the People of the Mist, Nadia and Alex must discover who is working to destroy the natives and blacken the names of those on the expedition and stop them.
    I thought this an appropriate book to read while in Brazil -- I was even reading while I flew over the Amazon! It's part of the summer reading list for middle school, and I think it's a great choice. Full of adventure and mystery, Allende has a great book here -- and it's merely the first of a series! Grab a copy and enjoy the suspense!
    Y FICTION Allende

    Things in Brazil continue along smashingly. I've visited some schools and some school libraries, as well as plantations and factories and businesses. I've been on brazilian radio and in the newspaper already, too.
    Two days ago was Brazil's National Children's Book Day -- I'm sorry I didn't get a post up for it!

    Comments: Post a Comment
    0 comments