av

 

the Framingham Public Library





    follow me on Twitter

    fplteenlib
    fplteenlib@hotmail.com
    fplteenlib
    443550364

    facebook me





    magic mirrors

    bookends



    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?


     

    Monday, June 12, 2006

    SUMMER READING -- MORE
    I'm sure I'll be talking about summer reading all summer long..., but the time is just about here and the books are out and about and I've been doing presentations already.
    Last week I was at the Biblionix meeting at the high school, booktalking some of the books on the list with Ann Klein, and we determined there are loads of great books on the list this year. Embarrassingly, I have only read about 2 books from each list, so my goal is to read at least one more for each grade level within the next couple of weeks. I started this weekend with Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson (which is also available in audiocassette and CD). I'm almost 100 pages through it and am enjoying it immensely. It recounts the story of a writer who decides to hike the Appalachian Trail from its beginnings in Georgia all the way to Maine. An old acquaintance joins him and off they go -- rocks, bugs, bears, trees, snow, annoying hikers -- they seem to experience it all. However, this isn't just a book about a couple of guys out on a walk -- it's also a book that explores environmental concerns, the National Forest Service, endangered species, and a plethora of other things. And it's all wrapped up in easy, humourous writing. Enjoy!

    Comments: Post a Comment
    0 comments