av

 

the Framingham Public Library





    follow me on Twitter

    fplteenlib
    fplteenlib@hotmail.com
    fplteenlib
    443550364

    facebook me





    magic mirrors

    bookends



    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?


     

    Thursday, June 22, 2006

    BOOKENDS
    Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson
    This is a summer reading book -- and I'm glad I read it, even though I'm sure there's a student out there wishing s/he could find it. Yes, this is a story about a man who takes a walk in the woods, but not just any woods and not just any walk -- this was the Appalachian Trail. Two thousand plus miles from Georgia to Maine, through forests and mountains and hills and lakes and valleys; possible confrontations with bears, bobcats, rattlesnakes, frostbite, torrential rain, sweltering days, and crazy hikers. But it's not just about hiking through the lovely woodlands of North America; it's also about the history of the environment, the culture of the backwoods and the surrounding townships, human relationships, government hands-on/hands-off. It's the story of the trail, told seriously but also with plenty of humour.
    When I started this book, I was all ready to pack a pack and head out onto the AT and hike it from start to finish. By the time I finished the book, I was all ready to pack a couple of meals and hike it for a couple of days. I enjoyed the book -- the personal account of the hiking accompanied by the facts and stories about the trail and America, intriguing facts and enjoyable narrative. I hope you like it!
    917.4 Bryson

    Comments: Post a Comment
    0 comments