av

 

the Framingham Public Library





    follow me on Twitter

    fplteenlib
    fplteenlib@hotmail.com
    fplteenlib
    443550364

    facebook me





    magic mirrors

    bookends



    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?


     

    Thursday, May 25, 2006

    BOOKENDS
    Ellen Foster by Kaye Gibbons
    This title was nominated as an outstanding book for the college bound by the American Library Association. It tells the story of a young girl who manages her own life with a sick mother who dies, an abusive father who dies, a strict grandmother who dies, an aunt and cousin who kick her out of their house. The girl she counts as her one true friend is black, and this also causes her some difficulty. However, she finally makes her way to a foster home, and for the first time in a long time, Ellen feels safe and loved.
    Interesting yet simple in concept, the prose style is somewhat loose; not really my type, despite the wry and dry humour. There were parts of the story I enjoyed and I was glad to read a comfortable ending, but I'll admit that I was rather glad that the book wasn't too long.
    (The title character has been compared to Huck Finn and Holden Caulfield.)
    Y FICTION Gibbons

    Comments: Post a Comment
    0 comments